I know it’s hilarious – we’re pretty much in Feb already and this is my first recipe post of the year! So sorry about that, but I’ve really been trying to reorganise and re-prioritise.
I want 2019 to be amazing, and more so for my blog – I want (and need!) to challenge myself to produce better content for you all. In the past I was concentrating on just PRODUCING the content consistently (because when I started, that’s what people told me was the biggest challenge). So, I was consistently posting twice a week for about 18 months or so – while I also had a full-time job! Man, it was rough!
And that’s why I’ve decided to reevaluate 2019.
Quality first. Consistency second.
Which brings me to these fab POTATO WAFFLES:
I’ve been suffering from gut issues for a while – kind of a chronic thing since high school. Which is why I’m currently trying to focus a lot on the QUALITY of my diet. As close to nature as possible is best! Of course, it’s a little more complicated than that (because even “natural” foods cause flare-ups for me), but maybe I’ll write a more detailed post on that soon!
I also bought a waffle maker the other day for SUUUUPER CHEAP – which is why my head has been spinning for days, thinking about all the yummy different types of waffles I could make. Warning, I might be posting an abnormal about of waffle recipes!
These waffles are:
Totes super easy actually if you have the ingredients at hand – plus a clean dish towel and some grip strength 😉
The most important thing you need to do here is make sure you squeeze out as much liquid from the grated potatoes as possible!
I’d say the only weird ingredient is the rice flour – which I use instead of egg to bind the waffles and make them crispier.
Okay okay, these waffles may be vegan and gluten-free – but if you’re not any of those things it doesn’t matter!!! They are so delicious and perfect for Sunday morning brunch – topped with bacon, egg and avocado is also a win!
But I gotta be honest – fresh, plant-based toppings are a win too!
- Avocado, cucumber, lemon
- Tomato relish, radish
- Sautéed mushrooms with onion
- Bacon, egg, avo
- Leftover savers (like bolognese yum!!!)
Potato Waffles Recipe
Potato Waffles – Vegan | Gluten-Free
- 600 g grated potatoes
- 300 g grated zucchini
- 6 tbsp diced onion
- 6 tbsp rice flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- pinch salt
- to taste pepper
- After grating the potatoes and zucchini, place them in a clean kitchen towel.
- Wring out as much liquid as possible.
- Add the potatoes and zucchini to a bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Now preheat a waffles iron, and make sure it is greased properly.
- Add potato mixture to the waffle iron – and try add as much as possible so that the waffles iron struggles to close. This will ensure the waffle isn’t too thin.
- Cook waffles for about 10 minutes – until nicely crispy and golden brown.
- Add toppings! Go crazy and add delicious toppings depending on your palate and nutritional requirements. I love fresh avocado, cucumber and dollops of greek yogurt (although you can easily omit that if you’re going the vegan route). Enjoy!
Carbs = 29g | Fats = 0.3g | Protein = 4.3g
Fiber = 3.2g | Sugar = 1.3g | Sodium = 185.1mg