Cheesy, Calorie-Controlled Hasselback Chicken

cheesy calorie-controlled hasselback chicken

If you’re a little confused, looking at the post title like: “Hasselback? Aren’t you talking about potatoes?!” then yes, you are right 😉 But I thought it SUCH a good description of this absolutely fabulous chicken recipe I know you are going to LOVE!

If you’re new to the blog – WELCOME!!!! Let me just take a few sentences to describe the purpose of my blog:

I’ve used to be chronic dieter, haunted by an unfortunate slow metabolism. Anyway, long story short, I finally found my sweet spot YEARS AND YEARS later and that is: the pursuit of a balanced lifestyle. Basically eating healthy, delicious, calorie-controlled meals 80% of the time (and drinking lots of water, exercising every day)…and then the other 20% = a few indulgences (personally, I limit them mostly to the weekends…and in my case they are: wine, cocktails, bacon and chocolate). The story is way more complex than that, but for the sake of FINALLY getting to the recipe, I’ll keep it short 😉

And that is why I enjoy making food that is diet-friendly and yet nowhere NEAR BORING and tasteless!


Which brings me to my Cheesy Calorie-Controlled Hasselback Chicken Recipe…


  1. It is calorie controlled – meaning that you can enjoy the cheesiness without feeling too guilty. I mean, every now and then you need something cheesy that won’t literally give you a heart attack. The best part is that it keeps the CRAVINGS at bay (self high five!). The secret is keeping an eye on the AMOUNT of cheese you use (and I’ve used NO OIL in this recipe).
  2. It’s VERY easy to make – seriously, have a look at the video below and you’ll LAUGH! It looks fancy (so even great for company), but incredibly simple to make…even easier than normal stuffed chicken because then you have to be very careful to cut the chicken breast in half without making a hole in the side. 

cheesy calorie-controlled hasselback chicken

Have a quick look at my Cheesy Calorie-Controlled Hasselback Chicken Recipe VIDEO:

A quick run through the recipe:

  • Make slices in your chicken breasts, not all the way through, and about 2 cm apart.
  • Season your breasts (see picture of the seasoning I use below)
  • Stuff the slits with a slice each of red pepper, green pepper, and red onion.
  • Bake for 15 minutes
  • Remove from the oven and sprinkle over a teaspoon of Parmesan cheese on each breast (for flavour).
  • Followed by mozzarella cheese (about 12g each breast).
  • Pop back in the oven till the cheese is melted.
  • DEVOUR! Serve with sweet potato mash or a fresh salad.

cheesy calorie-controlled hasselback chickencheesy calorie-controlled hasselback chicken


Cheesy, Calorie-Controlled Hasselback Chicken
Nutrition Information
  • Serves: 4
  • Serving size: 1 breast
  • Calories: 222
  • Fat: 4.7g
  • Carbohydrates: 6.2g
  • Sugar: 2.8g
  • Sodium: 378mg
  • Fiber: 1g
  • Protein: 34.5g
  • Cholesterol: 77.2mg
Prep time: 
Cook time: 
Total time: 
Easy, low calorie and satisfying chicken dish - even good enough for company!
  • 4 chicken breasts
  • 25g red onion, cut into slices (1 slice per slit in the chicken)
  • 60g red pepper, cut into slices (1 slice per slit in the chicken)
  • 60g green pepper, cut into slices (1 slice per slit in the chicken)
  • 4tsp Parmesan cheese
  • 50g grated mozzarella (or cheddar)
  • Chicken Fajita Spice Mix to taste (from Woolies)
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
  2. Cut slits into the chicken breast - along the width, about 2cm apart and not all the way through.
  3. Season chicken breast with spice mix (both sides).
  4. Stuff each slit with one slice each of red pepper, green pepper and red onion.
  5. Bake chicken for 15 minutes.
  6. Remove and sprinkle over 1tsp of finely grated Parmesan cheese and divide the grated mozzarella between the 4 breasts.
  7. Bake in the oven until cheese has melted (about 5 minutes).
  8. Remove from the oven and serve (try a nice fresh salad or sweet potato mash)!


Wine Pairing Suggestion

cheesy calorie-controlled hasselback chicken


We are fast approaching SUMMERTIME – and that’s why I’m loving this rose paring for my Hasselback Chicken: it’s fresh, it’s fruity, and I’m obsessed with the summery coral colouring!

Palate: Supple and round, freshness, complex

You can purchase this lovely bottle online here.

You may also like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Rate this recipe:  

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.