Don’t be mad at me – I know I haven’t posted a recipe in AGES! I take full responsibility, but to make up for the few weeks of silence I have quite the treat…
MY EASY PORK CHOPS FOR TWO 🙂
Here I need to give full credit to the Nell family (my boyfriend’s mom) for inspiring this dish. I fell in love with it instantly!
To be honest, I’m not quite sure how much this recipe resembles the original anymore, but I remember thinking the first time I had it: “I need to make this for the blog!”.
Minus the store-bought tomato sauce (even though it adds a lovely sweetness to it, so if you can find a good one without too many additives, it’s worth a shot!).
Anyway, back to these wonderful pork chops! Why are they fantastic?
- Pork is probably the most cost-effective meat at the moment (in SA anyway).
- This dish contains less than 300 calories per serving!
- This dish is ready in 30 minutes.
- This dish is made in one pan (less washing up yasss!)
- Free of any unhealthy additives.
- And of course – fricken delicious!
You might think the gherkins are a weird addition – but trust me – they completely MAKE this dish (think sweet and sour goodness!).
Here’s a quick video overview to run you through the recipe:
Easy Pork Chops for Two Recipe
- Serves: 2
- Calories: 290
- Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 31.6g
- Sugar: 18.5g
- Fiber: 8.7g
- Protein: 32.3g
- Cholesterol: 68.8mg
- 2 pork chops seasoned with 1 tbsp paprika and salt to taste
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup chopped gherkins
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- 1.5 cups chopped mushrooms
- ¼ onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Spice mix: 1 tbsp smoked paprika, ¼ tsp chili flakes, ½ tsp salt, optional 1 tbsp xylitol
- ½ tin chopped tomatoes (without additives)
- Season the pork chops with paprika and salt to taste.
- Add a tablespoon of coconut oil to a pan on medium heat.
- Fry the pork chops in the oil, concentrating the oil on the fat side of the chops in order to get the fat to render (about 3 mins a side).
- Remove the pork chops from the pan and set aside (they shouldn’t be fully cooked).
- To the same pan, add the onions and green pepper.
- Sauté for a few minutes until the onion has softened slightly.
- Add the gherkins and the mushrooms.
- Sauté for another few minutes before adding the garlic and the spice mix.
- Lastly, add half a tin of chopped tomatoes (leave the other half for the next time you make this…probably tomorrow).
- Cook the sauce for 15 minutes until thickened.
- Then return the pork chops to the pan, and cook the chops submerged in the sauce for another 5 minutes or until just cooked through (nothing worse than overly-cooked dry pork!).
- Serve the pork along with roasted veggies, on mashed potatoes or cauliflower mash and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Perfect White Wine Pairing…
Hermanuspietersfontein Die Kaalvoet Meisie Sauvignon Blanc
Tasting notes: Driven by freshness and mouth feel. European minerality, nuances of fresh fynbos spice and green apple.
The perfect pairing for these pork chops enjoyed between two!
Purchase this exceptional wine for R110 ZAR here.