Hm, perhaps one of the simplest and most satisfying healthy meals out there right? You only need 2 things: avocado and some toast. Done!
Not so fast.
So, as you all know (hopefully), I have been participating in a Zero Waste Challenge this past month. To get you up to speed, basically, I’m not allowed to generate any trash for an entire month! That meant I had to source my food from plastic-free grocery shops.
Yes, they do exist! Give it a Google and you’re sure to find a bunch of results. When I was doing my research, I was surprised that “plastic-free” was in fact a “thing” in Cape Town 🙂
Anyway, before I steer off topic again (I do that a lot, sorry)…back to avocado toast!
Yes, so avocado toast was and is a wonderful waste-free breakfast and lunch option I have been enjoying for the past few weeks. And I wasn’t satisfied with just. plain. avocado toast, so I spiced things up a smidge 🙂
FIRST UP: The Best Sourdough Avocado Toast!
Last weekend, I made my way to the absolutely fabulous Oranjezicht Farmer’s Market at the Waterfront in Cape Town. I am SUCH a sucker for freshly baked bread, so of course I had to stock up on delicious sourdough bread.
Did you know: Sourdough is in fact considered good for you because of the active yeast and lactobacillus it contains. Many people suffer from wheat intolerance; however, sourdough is believed to neutralize phytic acid that causes digestive difficulties.
How to make it
- 2 slices sourdough bread, toasted
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1 tbsp pesto (I used coriander and hemp seed pesto I bought from Nude Foods)
- 1 tsp toasted mixed seeds
- A handful fresh rocket leaves
- Divide the pesto between the 2 slices of bread and spread evenly.
- Top with mashed avocado.
- And lastly the toasted mixed seeds and rocket leaves.
- Devour right away!
NEXT UP: Gluten-Free Butternut Avocado Toast with Paprika-Roasted Chickpeas
Haha! If you’re one of my regular readers, you might notice I have a bit of an obsession with paprika-roasted chickpeas…they are just so darn fantastic!
And they complement practically EVERYTHING because they add a wonderful crunch! I must say, they are very much needed in this concoction!
You see, roasted butternut and mashed avocado are both rather soft and mushy, right? So, the chickpeas are the perfect addition to marry the whole think together 🙂
I have another confession…
It’s possible that I am also obsessed with my coriander and hemp seed pesto (I used it in the first avocado toast too!). I bought it from Nude Foods in Cape Town (a plastic-free grocer), and these days I’m putting it on pretty much EVERYTHING I eat. I just can’t help it! I’ve been depriving myself of cheese for the past month (because of the packaging) so I guess I’m using the pesto as a replacement.
How to make it
- Desired amount of butternut rounds (about 1cm thick)
- 1/2 cup chickpeas (cooked or tinned)
- Mashed avocado
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Place desired amount of butternut rounds on a baking tray.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place 1/2 cup of cooked/tinned chickpeas on the same tray.
- Drizzle the chickpeas with a tiny bit of olive oil.
- Season them with a tablespoon of paprika.
- Mix well to coat them nicely.
- Place the tray (with butternut and chickpeas) back into the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before adding about ½ teaspoon of pesto to each butternut round.
- Then top with mashed avocado.
- Sprinkle the chickpeas on top and another dash of paprika.