So, after a horrid and uninteresting first week of #ZeroWasteForMay, I immersed myself into a new experience: ditching the familiar shelves of Pick ‘n Pay and making my way to Nude Foods, a shop that supports plastic-free grocery.
I mentioned them briefly in my WEEK 1 video diary, but in case you missed it – let me fill you in…
Where is Nude Foods located:
In Cape Town CBD, 5 Constitution Street, Zonnebloem.
How does it work:
Last Saturday I popped in and the friendly Paul walked me through the process. Basically, they encourage people to bring their own containers and fill them up with whatever strikes their fancy – may it be grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, fresh produce, bread, pasta, dairy products – ANYTHING!
You weigh your container, and then write down its weight with a marker pen. Then, when you get to the till they will subtract the weight of your container from the overall weight.
I don’t know about you, but just the sight of fresh bread got me SUPER EXCITED! They also have this contraption filled with nuts in the centre of the shop where you can grind your own nut butter instantly! With no added ingredients – just nuts!
So, once I finally got some food in the house I could get cooking! As you can see, I racked up three delicious, healthy and zero-waste vegetarian meals with the produce I got from Nude Foods 😊
- 1/2 cup full-cream plain yogurt
- 16g chia seeds
- 1/3 cup mixed coconut flakes, seeds and nuts (I used 2 tbsp coconut, 1 tbsp pecan nuts, 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds)
- 1 cup fruit (1/2 pomegranate and 1/2 pineapple)
- Add the chia seeds to the yogurt, and mix.
- In a pan, toast the nuts and seeds mixture for 30 seconds (be careful, the coconut burns VERY easily).
- Add the fruit to the chia seed yogurt.
- Top with the toasted coconut, nuts and seeds.
See my easy video below to make it seem SUPER easy:
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans
- red onion to taste
- handful of fresh rocket
- Dressing: 1 tbsp plain yogurt + 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- Add all the ingredients to a plate and BOOM! You’ve got yourself a delicious lunch in a flash!
See my explainer video below to prove how easy this one is:
- 1/2 cup chickpeas roasted with 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 small sweet potato, cut into cubes with a drizzle of olive oil and seasoning to taste
- handful of shredded purple cabbage
- handful fresh lettuce
- Dressing: Honey Mustard Dressing = 1 tsp honey + drizzle of olive oil + 1/4 tsp vinegar + seasoning
- In a 180 degree (Celsius) oven, roast the butternut and chickpeas for 30 minutes.
- Add to a plate with fresh lettuce and shredded cabbage.
- Drizzle with honey mustard dressing if desired.
- Enjoy this satisfying vegetarian dinner!
Watch my video below for a quick run-through: