Guys guys guys! This Mushroom & Parmesan Weight-Loss Omelet is my first post for the “What’s for Breakfast” series this April…
Yip, this month you’ll be seeing a bunch of yummy, healthy and soul-satisfying breakfast options. Do yourself a favour and explore the most important meal of the day. I know we all struggle to find time for breakfast during the week, but if you can, try and wake up an hour earlier…your body will thank you, trust me! If you’re one of those people that value sleep above all else – no judgement – then take to the weekends for breakfast spoils 🙂
Parmesan and Mushroom…
What a powerful combination! The idea here, was to use 2 (and only 2) ingredients as fillings for this omelet that would pack the meanest, most flavourful punch possible. Since this is a “weight-loss” omelet, I wanted ingredients that would add flavour without adding too many calories.
Mushrooms are exactly that! Low in calories but incredibly flavourful!
Parmesan on the other hand – incredibly flavourful, even in small quantities.
And that equals a perfect combination for this omelet.
Why is this a weight-loss omelet?
I use 2 egg whites and only 1 egg yolk (for flavour, trust me 1 egg yolk makes a big difference) = lower in fat and, therefore, calories.
Egg whites = high protein
Small quantities of flavourful ingredients = less calories
I only used 2 ingredients = less calories
A weight-loss meal doesn’t have to be tasteless. That is probably one of THEE MOST IMPORTANT takeaways of my blog. I believe in creating colourful, tasty, nutrient-dense and reasonably low-calorie meals – this is the kind of food I enjoy eating on a day-to-day basis. Sure, we all like to stray off track every now and then…it’s called balance 😉 Just make sure it doesn’t happen too often. For me, the sweet spot is 5 days of being relatively strict and 2 days of being pretty chilled (usually Saturday and Sunday).
Mushroom & Parmesan Weight-Loss Omelet Recipe
If you’ve ever made an omelet, you would know that the secret to making a perfect one EVERY time is having a nice non-stick pan. You wouldn’t believe how much I love my pan! If you don’t have one, do yourself a favour and invest in one today! You will get SO MUCH good use out of it 🙂
(Please scroll to the print-version for full instructions)
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs (2 egg whites, 1 egg yolk).
- Add some seasoning and spice to the eggs – I like garlic and olive seasoning with dried oregano.
- In a nonstick pan on medium heat, fry up the mushrooms (using no oil) and set aside. I usually just wipe the pan with an oiled paper towel.
- After cooking the mushrooms, wipe the pan clean and pour in the egg mixture to form a nice egg pancake.
- Sprinkle over the Parmesan cheese, then the cooked mushrooms.
- Fold in the sides and remove from the heat.
- Optional: serve with sliced avocado and cherry tomatoes.
- Serves: 1
- Calories: 190
- Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 5.5g
- Sugar: 2g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Protein: 15.7g
- 2 egg whites, 1 egg yolk
- ½ tsp oregano
- seasoning to taste
- 80g sliced mushrooms
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp oil to grease the pan (use a paper towel)
- In a bowl, whisk the egg whites, egg yolk, oregano and seasoning until combined. Set aside.
- On medium heat, grease a non-stick pan with oil and fry the mushrooms until cooked. Set aside.
- Wipe the pan clean and pour in the egg mixture.
- Sprinkle over the Parmesan cheese, then the mushrooms.
- Do not over-cook the omelet!
- Fold in the sides of the omelet and slide onto a plate.
- Optionally, serve with sliced avocado and cherry tomatoes.