Today I am SO excited to give you guys another butterut recipe! And if I’m being 100% honest, this baby over here is definitely one of thee BEST and tastiest meatless lunches I’ve had in ages.
As a food blogger – I am a little biased towards butternut because it is my absolute FAVOURITE vegetable!
- It is LOW IN CALORIES because of its high-water content.
- It is high in nutrients, especially in Vitamin A
- It is extremely photogenic
- And let’s not forget – it is absolutely delicious!
I’m pretty sure I could think of many more reasons why I love butternut squash – but those are the ones that are most important to me 😊
But let’s not forget about the lentils either, they are SUPER good for you:
- Lentils are a great source of plant protein
- They are wonderful for your digestive health
- They stabilise blood-sugar levels due to fibre content
- They can lower cholesterol
- They are LOW in FAT!
Don’t think I can think of any better combination for this salad!
Now back to our Tastiest Meatless Lunch…
This one is so quick and easy! Since the only real time-consumer is roasting the butternut, I would suggest cutting it in smaller cubes to reduce cooking time (for those days you’re REALLY in a rush). Making good, wholesome food does NOT have to take a long time. And unfortunately, I have ZERO sympathy for people who say they don’t have time to cook.
Back in varsity, I stayed in a ladies residence. My classes were pretty hectic; solid 8-5 compulsory classes and then STUDY STUDY STUDY afterwards. Sometimes I don’t know how I survived it. That life was hectic! (I won’t mention the frequent jolling till 4 o’ clock in the morning though haha!)
Point is – I had one tiny little communal hotplate and microwave to cook with, less than ZERO time, and still managed to cook healthy meals for myself everyday. I won’t lie, it was a challenge! But if eating healthy and not piling your stomach full of toxic garbage is a priority – you can definitely make it work 😊 All it takes is a little dedication at first, and after that it become a habit.
The Tastiest Meatless Lunch Recipe
As I said earlier, the most time consuming part of this delectable salad is cooking the butternut. Cut it into tiny cubes to reduce cook-time, but try not to UNDERCOOK it. You want it nice and caramelized 😊
While the butternut cooks in the oven, fry up some mushrooms, measure out half a cup of lentils plus half a round of feta – then simply toss everything together (plus some fresh rocket leaves) when the butternut is done 😊
And NO MEAT yay! Your next Meatless Monday SORTED 😉
- Serves: 1
- Calories: 340
- Fat: 7.1g
- Carbohydrates: 61.5g
- Sugar: 11.6g
- Sodium: 721.1mg
- Fiber: 20.5g
- Protein: 15.8g
- Cholesterol: 24.9mg
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 120g brown mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup tinned lentils, drained
- ½ round feta (30g)
- fresh rocket leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Place the butternut onto a baking tray, season and drizzle with olive oil.
- Place into the oven for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, sauté the mushrooms in a pan until cooked (and not watery).
- When the butternut is done, add to a bed of fresh rocket leaves with the mushrooms, feta and lentils.
Hmmm…methinks your salad is lacking something…
For this absolutely delectable salad (and yes you definitely MUST try it!!) – pair with a nice crisp white wine. It is after all so hot these days, and to be honest RIGHT NOW I can’t think of anything better than a super light (yet deeply satisfying) dinner with a glass of COLD crisp white wine 🙂 Absolute heaven!
You can buy the HPF Kaalvoet Meisie online here at 110 ZAR.
For another FANTASTIC meatless lunch option, try my veggie burgers here.