The other day I just woke up and thought: I feel like making something sweet and sour – but healthy (it’s harder than you think! Sauces are packed with unhealthy additives).
Okay, so I am well aware about the battle surrounding warm pineapple. So many people are dead set against having pineapple on their pizza. I wholeheartedly disagree. What is pizza without pineapple?!!
Before I stray wayyy off track, the point is that many people don’t realize how underrated pineapple is. In this chicken quinoa bowl, it serves as my sweet and sour power flavour – natural and healthy. No dodgy unnatural chemicals you would find in the usual Asian sweet and sour take-away!
This dish you could spruce up quite a bit if you wanted to, but my idea was focused on SIMPLE.
The most complicated and time-consuming part was cooking the quinoa (and that only took 15 minutes!). What I usually do, is I cook a big batch of quinoa for the whole week and keep it in the fridge. That way I can easily add different things to it, for example, have Tropical Chicken Quinoa Bowl one day, and have beef strips and roast veg the next 😊
Sweet & Sour Tropical Chicken Quinoa Bowl Recipe
Take one chicken breast, cut into cubes – add to a baking tray.
Then add 1/3 of a red and green pepper, diced.
Add ½ cup pineapple cut into cubes.
Add a small drizzle of olive oil, season and place in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius.
Wait 20 minutes.
Remove from the oven and add to ½ cup cooked quinoa.
There you have a wonderful, super healthy and above all – incredibly SIMPLE meal 😊
- Serves: 1
- Calories: 330
- Fat: 4.6g
- Carbohydrates: 37.4g
- Sugar: 12.9g
- Sodium: 327.9mg
- Fiber: 6.4g
- Protein: 35.9g
- Cholesterol: 76.4mg
- 1 small chicken breast, cut into cubes
- ½ cup diced fresh pineapple
- ⅓ of a red and green pepper (about 120g in total)
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- dash of olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Place chicken, pineapple and peppers on a baking tray.
- Season (I use garlic and herb seasoning) and drizzle with olive oil (very little).
- Place in the oven to roast for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and mix with ½ cup cooked quinoa.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves if desired.