As a kid, I loved to bake. In fact – baking was my absolute favourite thing to do. And as you know – I have a chocolate addiction, so of course I was baking chocolate cakes every chance I got! My mom always had this one recipe I loved and always used: one that was scribbled down in an old notebook. Today you can hardly make it out with all the old batter splatters that have accumulated over the years.
I loved this recipe because it was SUPER easy and required pretty basic ingredients that you would most likely have in your cupboard. Most chocolate cake recipes demand butter, sugar, flour, eggs, milk, cocoa powder…
This one doesn’t contain any eggs OR milk! And only requires a tiny bit of oil ?
So, the other day I decided to try this recipe as a SUGAR FREE version – and also made a few extra tweaks of my own: like making Chocolate Muffins instead of a Chocolate Cake.
Here’s also a SUGAR-FREE chocolate mug cake recipe…have a look 😉
SUGAR-FREE Chocolate Muffins RECIPE
These Sugar-free Chocolate Muffins aren’t sickly sweet – just a heads up. To make them 100% sugar-free I suggest serving them with cream and strawberries for natural added sweetness. Or top them with crumbled sugar-free cookies – like sugar-free chocolate chip cookies! Yum! You can find these at Dischem, Clicks – or even a few supermarkets these days ?
Note: These muffins are best enjoyed a day after making – because the chocolatiness develops over time.
- Serves: 12
- Serving size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 185
- Fat: 9.9g
- Carbohydrates: 28.8g
- Sugar: 0.2g
- Sodium: 162.1mg
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Protein: 2.2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- 1½ cups plain flour
- 1 cup xylitol
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup oil
- 1 tsp vanilla esssence
- 1 cup coffee (250ml)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Line a muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl (sift them for a lighter texture).
- Then add all the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients - add the coffee last, and add it slowly (see note).
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients - but be careful bot to over-mix them.
- Divide the batter between 12 cupcake liners - each should be ¾ full.
- Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool.
- Optional: Top with freshly whipped cream, strawberries and balsamic reduction OR sugar-free icing.