First of all: Happy French Toast Day everybody! This is definitely the type of holiday I like celebrating 🙂
Thought I’d hop onto the metaphorical bandwagon and make use of this opportunity to make a “healthier” French toast recipe ?
I’m not one to brag, but the the truth is – I make the best French toast. It’s a fact. A while back, I used to au pair for 2 boys who were very fussy eaters, but for some reason the only thing they absolutely adored was my French toast. They loved it!
So now I’m pretty confident in that I make awesome French toast – and I’ll tell you my secret…
This is a love child between a flapjack and French toast. I’ve never been a fan of the soggy, eggy texture of regular French toast – it actually makes me cringe a bit. But I couldn’t miss out on the wonderful concept of it all so I created my very own creation and I promise you it is perfection!
If you want to be naughty – ignore my recommendations, but I would urge you all to try my “Healthier” French Toast recipe first – because it is still absolutely delicious ?
Here are my HEALTHY swops:
- Instead of using regular white bread – I used whole-wheat bread.
- Instead of using sugar – I used xylitol.
- Instead of syrup topping – I used fresh fruit and full cream plain yogurt with some cinnamon “sugar”(xylitol)
Healthier French Toast Recipe
- Serves: 3
- Calories: 247
- Fat: 4.6g
- Carbohydrates: 39.2g
- Sugar: 2.8g
- Sodium: 341.3mg
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Protein: 10.5g
- Cholesterol: 75.4g
- 3 pieces of whole-wheat bread
- For the batter:
- 1 egg
- ½ cup low fat milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 heaped tbsp xylitol
- Cut each piece of bread into 3 slices. Set aside.
- For the batter: combine all the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Combine the dry ingredients together, and then slowly mix into the wet ingredients.
- Be careful not to overmix (a few lumps are fine).
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat (or grease with a little oil).
- Dip pieces of bread into the batter until covered.
- Allow excess batter drip off before placing onto the pan.
- Cook pieces of bread until brown on either side (about 3 minutes a side on low-ish heat).
- Remove from the pan and serve with your choice of topping.
- Suggestion: Serve with full cream plain yogurt, fruit, cinnamon xylitol and a drizzle of balsamic reduction