Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day! For some reason, I wake up every morning feeling completely ravenous – ready to devour the entire contents of the fridge. This is one of the reasons why I struggle to follow fasting diets and my stomach eats itself if I decide to starve it till lunchtime.
Hence why I tend to put effort into preparing a good breakfast.
These lovely low carb breakfast egg nests were in fact an experiment. I had bought these weird and wonderful spiral veggies at Pick n Pay that I wanted to use in a salad (that is the suggestion on the packaging). However, I forgot about them…and so I had to invent a way to use them before they went off (I hate wasting!!).
These veggies are a combination of carrot, beetroot, and butternut – I’ve attached a picture of what the packaging looks like in the recipe section below.
GLUTEN-FREE Breakfast Egg Nests Recipe
How long do these low carb breakfast egg nests take to make?
Under 10 minutes!!!! Such a time saver 😊
How many calories are in them?
Only 333 calories!!!!
How many ingredients do I use to make the egg nests?
Only 4 – spiralized veggies, cheese, an egg, and avocado.
- Keep an eye on your low carb egg nests in the oven because the spiralized veggies can burn easily.
- Drizzle some onion marmalade over the top. I microwave the marmalade for about 30 seconds until it becomes runny.
- Use mature cheddar for more flavour or mozzarella for ooey gooey-ness. OR mix them for best of both worlds.
- Serves: 1
- Calories: 333
- Fat: 25.7g
- Carbohydrates: 11.5g
- Sugar: 4.3g
- Sodium: 250.2mg
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 16g
- Cholesterol: 245.5mg
- 80g spiralized carrots (spiral trio from Pick n Pay)
- 1 whole egg
- 30g cheddar cheese
- ½ an avocado
- Seasoning to taste
- Optional: drizzle of onion marmalade, 1 tsp (recommended)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper (or use spray and cook).
- Use the spiralized carrots to form a nest with a hole in the center.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the nest (or mix into the carrots).
- Break the egg into the middle of the nest.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes (keep an eye on it).
- Remove from the oven, season with salt and pepper.
- Slice half an avocado and place on top of the nest.
- Optional: drizzle with onion marmalade (put in the microwave for 30 seconds to make it runny).