source url The secret weapon is ZERO calorie noodles!
I’m sure you’re wondering how a decent-sized portion of Sweet & Sour Pork Noodle Stir Fry could be under 250 calories?
The problem is that the TYPICAL takeout noodle stir fry is NOT a GOOD OPTION for a number of reasons…
- The sauces are very high in sugar and sodium.
- If a meat is added to the dish it is usually deep fried.
- The stir fry is cooked in A LOT of unhealthy vegetable oils.
- A noodle stir fry is typically very high in calories.
Let me put your mind at ease by telling you that you that you CAN EAT my Sweet & Sour Pork Noodle Stir Fry with a clear conscience 🙂 It makes me so happy to eat food that is low calorie and still delicious. All it takes is some creativity and innovation to transform an unhealthy, 1000+ meal into a meal that is low calorie, satisfying AND delicious. The task can be rather daunting at times…but those are the 3 things I aim for every time I cook. I don’t want a measly cube of cheese on my plate when I need to lose a bit of weight for the summer season. I also don’t want a big portion of bland, tasteless food (like a big bowl of lettuce – with a few tomatoes if you’re lucky).
WHAT I WANT (and I’m sure you do too) – is a good plate of food, that makes me feel nourished and happy…minus the guilt!
And the secret to the perfect balance is finding ways of “CHEATING” the traditional ways of cooking:
- Substituting unhealthy, high-calorie ingredients with better options – in this case: egg noodles for zero calorie noodles. SAVE around 220 CALORIES!
- Stop frying or sauteing everything – it’s not necessary! SAVE at least 100 CALORIES!
- Make up the bulk of the dish with delicious vegetables – they will fill you up and SAVE TONS OF CALORIES!
- Use spices for flavour NOT fat – a tablespoon of fat averages at 100 calories!
Sweet & Sour Pork Noodle Stir Fry Recipe
Zero calorie noodles are seriously the best invention ever! Zero calories? Are you kidding me? #lifemade
This dish is awesome for 2 reasons:
- The Sweet and Sour Pork Stir Fry took less than 20 minutes start to finish.
- I used zero calorie noodles so an entire serving is only 206 calories!!!
No tricks, I promise.
! DONE !
- Serves: 2
- Calories: 206
- Fat: 4.3g
- Carbohydrates: 26.5g
- Sugar: 12.3g
- Sodium: 516.7mg
- Fiber: 8.6g
- Protein: 17.5g
- Cholesterol: 43mg
- 1 cup sliced peppers (mixture of red and green peppers, 100g)
- 1 cup red cabbage, finely chopped (50g)
- 1 cup carrots, chopped into thin sticks (60g)
- ½ cup pineapple pieces (95g)
- ¼ onion, sliced (20g)
- 2 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 50ml apple cider vinegar
- 250g lean pork strips
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
- pinch of salt
- 1 packet zero calorie noodles, rinsed and drained
- Prepare the ingredients.
- Cook the pork by "frying" in sizzling water.
- Add the hoisin sauce when when the water has evaporated and the pork is cooked.
- Add the garlic and ginger, and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and allow to evaporate.
- Add the pineapple pieces, and stir.
- Add the rest of the vegetables, and stir continuously on high heat.
- Add the tomato sauce and cook the stir fry until carrots are slightly tender.
- Season with a pinch of salt.
- Add the noodles, and stir well until they are coated with sauce.
- Ready to serve!
Pssst….maybe try add these zero calorie noodles to some amazing Bolognese!