In my house, we braai with family every Sunday, without fail. So we’re always looking for new ideas when it comes to side dishes. Sure – the meat is the easy part, but you can’t always have the same old boring salad every week! And besides that – you also don’t want to be in the kitchen slaving away while you’re having people over. I suggest you give my Easiest Chickpea Salad a bash! Not everyone is crazy about chickpeas – but sometimes, all it takes are a few tasty combinations to change someone’s mind.
This chickpea salad requires all but 5 super healthy ingredients: chickpeas, avocado, cherry tomatoes, red onion and fresh coriander. This will form the base of the salad, so you can add whatever other ingredients you desire. Personally, I like adding feta (because everything is better with cheese). However, let me tell you it isn’t necessary.
And now I’m sure you’re wondering about a salad dressing…
I added 2 tablespoons of Woolworths Slimmers Choice dressing…because its only 4 calories per tablespoon – and ties it all together.
ADD EXTRAS: feta and salad dressing
- Serves: serves 7
- Calories: 163
- Fat: 4.9g
- Carbohydrates: 21.2g
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 8.7mg
- Fiber: 7.4g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- 1 can of chickpeas in brine (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 medium avocado
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 handful fresh coriander, chopped
- Optional: add ½ round of feta, crumbled; 2 tbsp slimmers choice salad dressing (I used coriander and lime)
- Prepare all the ingredients.
- Combine into a bowl and mix.
- Add optional ingredients.