At this time of year, I’m sure a warm, hearty stew is a weekly staple. Definitely in our house! This one is by far my favorite: The BEST Beef Stew…
If you’re someone that’s never made a stew before…DO NOT FEAR! This is definitely NOT the type of dish you need to fret about. It is a MAGICAL kind of meal because (in my opinion) ANYONE can make a delicious stew. You can chuck just about ANYTHING you want into one pot and POOF!…there is a delicious meal for you (and your family of course) to enjoy.
Right, so a culinary IDIOT could make an amazing stew. Sure. It is SUPER easy. BUT — there is ONE and only ONE Golden Rule…
The Golden Rule: Stews need to cook for as long as possible…3-4 hours is great!
Why? Because, typically, you would use cheaper cuts of meat in a stew. You know, the tougher cuts like beef chuck, beef shin, mutton, etc… THIS IS THE BEAUTY of a stew 🙂 It’s just so rewarding! Hearty, healthy, delicious AND inexpensive! A pot of stew could pretty much feed an army with a few pennies (so to speak)! Here you’ll have the opportunity to use cheap meat and transform it into something WONDERFUL…the best beef stew! The meat becomes so deliciously tender and practically falls apart. What was once a tough piece of meat is broken down to soft and flavorsome perfection!
To me, this is the best beef stew recipe. I love the smokey flavor of the paprika! But feel free to use it as a guideline.
My advice: if you haven’t made a stew before, try my recipe ONCE – and after that you’ll probably feel comfortable with the process. Then you can add and subtract flavors that suit your taste and diet preference (example, use carb smart ingredient for low carb diet).
The overall process of making the best beef stew is simple:
- Brown the meat – I just add a drop of water instead of oil so that the meat renders its own fat.
- Add the onions and garlic.
- Add the sauce and spices.
- Add the liquid.
- Cook for looooong.
- VERY IMPORTANT: Add the vegetables at the very END. Otherwise, they will break down completely, and you’ll be left with SOUP! Depending on what type of veg…but 45 minutes before serving should be perfect for a mix of carrots, potatoes, courgettes etc.
- CARB SMART: in a bowl by itself or with zero-calorie rice pearls. Also substitute the starchy vegetables or use only courgettes.
- THE USUAL: over rice (BROWN IS BEST!)
- Serves: serves 4-6 people
- Calories: 264
- Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 620mg
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 27g
- Cholesterol: 68mg
- 4 large pieces beef shin (800g)
- sauce mixture: ¼ cup tomato sauce, 2 tbsp soy sauce, ½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 2tbsp tomato paste.
- spices: 1 tsp paprika, ½ tsp cumin, 1 tsp coriander, ½ tsp nutmeg, 1 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cube chicken stock, dissolved in 500ml water (or 500ml pure stock).
- 1 glass red wine
- 1 shot of sherry
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- ¼ cup flour (optional)
- sprig of fresh rosemary
- vegetables: 10 baby potatoes, 2 large courgettes, 2 large carrots
- On medium heat, brown the pieces of beef shin with a little bit of water so they render their own fat.
- Add the onion and garlic.
- Cook until the onion becomes translucent. Be careful not to let the garlic burn (add a little water if necessary).
- Add the sauce mixture, and stir.
- Add the spice mixture, and stir.
- Add the liquids (wine, sherry and chicken stock).
- Cook for about 3 hours, checking it every so often - adding water if necessary.
- Add the vegetables and the rosemary 45 minutes before serving.
- Add the cocoa powder and sift in the flour 15 minutes before serving.
- Remove the woody sprig of rosemary just before serving.
2. The cocoa powder adds a richness.
3. Other cuts of meat can be substituted.
4. Other optional ingredients: bacon, mushrooms
Try Hermanuspietersfontein’s Die Martha. I love this wine! And you’ll find that it compliments the stew WONDERFULLY. The wine has an aroma of dark chocolate…that pairs with the richness of the cocoa powder added into the stew. YUM!
Generous mouthfeel, smooth tannis, persistent and lingering finish
Buy it now online for 260 ZAR: