Did you know that the average portion of nachos contain around 350 calories?! And that’s 6-8 PLAIN nachos with ONLY cheese…no meat…no guacamole…and NO sour cream! Can you imagine how high that number would be if you went to a restaurant and had ‘the works’?
Sure – nachos aren’t your typical “diet food”…
But I would much rather prefer being on a diet if I could have my NACHOS and eat them too!! Imagine losing weight while eating a plate of cheesy, meaty nachos 🙂
Okay so besides having to lose weight…which is often on our minds all through winter time (because “summer bodies are made in winter!”)…something that (in my opinion) should ALWAYS be on our minds is MAKING HEALTHIER choices. Yes, “healthy” has indeed become a buzz word in recent times – and perhaps a relative term too, but HEALTH is a priceless commodity many of us take for granted (especially in our younger years). It’s not about living forever – but about maintaining a high quality of life until the very end.
Apologies for the lecture – let me move on to more exciting things (and not fire and brimstone)…
The Secret to Healthier & Low Calorie Nachos
As I stated above…Nachos aren’t your typical diet food. But they CAN BE included in your diet occasionally WITHOUT compromising your progress 🙂 These nachos taste AMAZING without all the added fat from excess cheese and sour cream. Let me give you the low down:
Tips for less fat and less calories:
- Smaller and controlled portion sizes
- Add flavor with spice and not fat or too much meat
- Aim for a perfect ratio of nacho chips to cheese and toppings
- No sour cream! Use plain yogurt instead.
- Use low fat cheese like reduced fat mozzarella (great melting cheese) and feta
Continue reading for the recipes…
The Secret to Delicious Nachos
It doesn’t matter whether you drown your nachos in delicious cheese and fatty goodness or whether you make HEALTHIER nachos like mine here today…
THERE IS A SECRET
AND THAT SECRET IS
Yip! Simple as that! The secret to fantastic nachos is having a good ratio of chips to topping. Nobody wants a ton of delicious cheese and mince on the top of their nachos – leaving the bottom chips dry as the Sahara Desert!
Layer the chips, cheese and other toppings as shown below:
- Half the portion of chips and then the feta on top.
- Then half the spicy mince.
- Then half the reduced-fat mozzarella.
- Then the rest of the chips with the rest of the mozzarella on top.
- Add the rest of the spicy mince.
- Optional: some sliced jalapeños
- Serves: 1 serving
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 430
- Fat: 20g
- Carbohydrates: 29g
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 695mg
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 26g
- Cholesterol: 32mg
- 45g nacho chips
- 20g reduced-fat mozzarella cheese (from Woolies)
- 10g crumbled feta cheese
- 100g spicy mince (300g extra lean mince + can whole peeled tomatoes + paprika + seasoning)
- drizzle of plain yogurt (around 2 Tbsp) - I use double cream yogurt
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- On an oven-proof plate create layers of chips, cheese and mince.
- First: half the chips followed by the feta
- Second: then half the mince
- Third: then half the mozzarella
- Fourth: rest of the chips and rest of the mozzarella
- Fifth: rest of the mince
- Optional: sliced jalapeños
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Drizzle with plain yogurt, and optionally serve with guacamole and fresh salsa.
2. Serve with guacamole and salsa (not included in nutritional info).
Easiest Spicy Mince Recipe
300g extra lean beef mince + tin whole peeled tomatoes + 1/2 tsp paprika + salt and pepper to taste
Cook the mince mixture until most of the liquid has evaporated – around 30 minutes.
(You could also add a few chili flakes for extra spiciness…OR a tin of All Gold’s Mexican Style chopped tomatoes – it works wonderfully!)
Super easy, right?
This makes 4 servings of 100g.
Nutritional information per serving: 115 calories ; 3g carbs ; 16.8g protein ; 3.9g fat
And to serve…
You need the BEST guacamole and BEST salsa to go with these nachos!
For the BEST guacamole recipe: http://lorainesteyn.com/2017/06/best-guacamole-you-will-ever-have/
And for the BEST tomato salsa recipe: http://lorainesteyn.com/2017/06/best-tomato-salsa-will-ever-have/