We all love roast chicken. To me it’s one of those magical meals in winter-time that really does the job when it comes to warming the belly! And what’s more…roast chicken is possibly one of the easiest and effortless dinners out there. NO JOKES! My easy Honey Glazed Roast Chicken sure delivers on that front let me tell you!
The honey glaze makes the skin all crispy and delicious! Be careful NOT to OVERCOOK, though…
Bake the chicken for a total of 1h and 30minutes….and the result will be MOUTH WATERING! Crispy skin and succulent meat, YUM!
Okay, let me sell you on this one a little bit more (if I haven’t hooked you already!). Sure, the glaze contains sugar…which is like swearing on my blog haha…but A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY 🙂 No need to drench the chicken in sugar by any means. And when I said my Honey Glazed Roast Chicken is effortless BLISS — I wasn’t joking 😉 Perfect for having friends and family over when you want to socialise and NOT spend all your time slaving away in the kitchen.
A simple Honey Glazed Roast Chicken recipe overview:
- The honey glaze is super easy! It consists of equal parts white wine and honey…plus a little brown sugar and soy sauce. DONE 🙂
Before it goes into the oven…
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Chop up some vegetables like butternut, sweet potato, and potato – and add some chunky chunks of onion (I like red onion because of the colour – we eat with our eyes!).
- Place a whole chicken on a roasting tray.
- Add the veg around it.
- Sprinkle veg and chicken with seasoning (I use Robertson’s rustic garlic and herb and some paprika) and a total of 1 Tbsp olive oil.
- Mix the veg with your hands and rub the seasoning over the chicken.
- Pop in the oven for 1h.
- Then use a brush to brush some honey glaze over the chicken.
- Roast a further 30 minutes.
- Brush some more glaze over the hot chicken, and allow to cool a bit before slicing.
And at the end!!!!…
You see? My Honey Glazed Roast Chicken is a piece of cake! Find the full recipe below…
Full Printable Recipe:
- Serves: 5-6
- Serving size: ⅙ chicken
- Calories: 276
- Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 11.6g
- Sugar: 10.5g
- Sodium: 177mg
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 43g
- Cholesterol: 119mg
- For the GLAZE:
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup white wine (I used Sauvignon Blanc)
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- For the CHICKEN:
- 1 whole chicken
- seasoning: salt, pepper, and paprika
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 3 whole garlic cloves
- To Serve:
- mixed vegetables of your choice cut into chunks
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Place the chicken on a baking tray
- Add the mixed vegetables around it - careful not to fill the roasting pan too much, otherwise the veg will become watery.
- Season the vegetables and the chicken with a little seasoning to taste and a dash of paprika
- Measure out a tablespoon of oil and drizzle over the vegetables and chicken.
- Mix the oil and seasoning throughout the veg, and rub it into the chicken.
- Add a couple of sprigs of rosemary to the tray, and place 3 garlic cloves into the inside cavity of the chicken.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour.
- In the meantime, make the glaze by combining all the ingredients, and heating in the microwave until the sugar has melted.
- Remove from the oven, and brush over some honey glaze over the chicken.
- Return to the oven for a further 30 minutes.
- Remove, and brush over more glaze.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before carving the chicken.
2. It is not necessary to use all the glaze...I use about ¾ of it.
A good roast chicken needs a good bottle of white wine!
The great thing is that the honey glaze needs a little vino too…so there’s an excuse to open a quality bottle of white wine 🙂 Don’t worry – the recipe only calls for 1/4 cup of it so you have enough left to drink 😉
I used the crisp Sauvignon Blanc, “Die Kaalvoet Meisie” by Hermanuspietersfontein wines. Don’t feel bad to use it in the recipe – it’ll make your chicken taste amazing, and pair gloriously with a glass of it at dinner.
You can buy Die Kaalvoet Meisie online for 110 ZAR at: