Have you ever tried making sweet potato toast? Well…these are pretty similar – but with the temperature (figuratively) turned WAYY up ;p Let me introduce its more fabulous cousin: sweet potato flatbreads! An amazing healthy and gluten free lunch/appetiser idea!
To be honest, I have no idea if sweet potato flatbreads are a thing. I was experimenting with the idea of sweet potato toast, but the result was somewhat different. First of all, I roasted the sliced sweet potato on the usual 180 degrees Celsius – so the result wasn’t crispy like toast – but more caramelized and creamy. Mmm. It makes my mouth water just thinking about it!
In truth, I expect you are thinking they look darn fancy-shmancy… NOT AT ALL!!! Okay, I was pretty pleased with how they turned out visually. But that wasn’t the intention at all. I had around two sweet potatoes…and just topped them with whatever I thought would be yummy (things I already had in the fridge).
Please try these!!!! They are so delicious! I had them for lunch and they were literally the highlight of my week! Something different, healthy and satisfying 🙂 I got creative, and invented 5 different toppings for your sweet potato flatbreads to get you started! Go ahead and let your creativity FLOW — use anything you have in the fridge to create some tasty new combinations 🙂
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Slice a few sweet potatoes LENGTHWISE to make nice long ‘flatbreads’. Make as many as you wish!
- Line a baking tray with baking paper, and place the slices on the tray a good distance apart.
- Brush each flatbread with coconut oil (melted) on both sides.
- Season both sides (I use Robertson’s rustic garlic and herb).
- Place in the oven for around 20 minutes. Keep an eye on them, and try and roast the sweet potato flatbreads for as long as possible before they start caramelizing too much.
- Remove from the oven and add the toppings!!
SWEET POTATO FLATBREAD TOPPINGS
Mozzarella, Broccoli and Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
Creamy Scrambled Egg and Chives
Rocket, Crispy Bacon, Feta and Peppadews
Avocado, Feta and Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
Creamy Goats Cheese, Sliced Radish, Onion, and Roasted Pumpkin Seeds