This Baby will become your favourite!
I think we’ve all noticed…it’s getting chillier and chillier by the day! And this is not a good thing when it comes to keeping off the pounds. Comfort food is often the order of the day…and salads get tossed out the backdoor! This is a good time for me to introduce the salad saviour: my warm, comforting, flavourful roasted butternut salad. Perfect for summer AND winter! It truly is the best! And I certainly wouldn’t lie to you my friend 😉
Every time I forget how delicious it actually is: a wholesome, healthy, and indugent meal (hello BACON!). Optionally, this can be served as a meal, or as a side dish (quite an impressive one at that with your Sunday braai). And the BONUS is that this roasted butternut salad is PERFECT for a packed work lunch option – used to be one I looked forward to the most 🙂
Of course, if you wish to make it less rich: ommit the bacon and replace with chicken. Although, the bacon adds the flavour that makes it irresistable (and a little goes a long way).
Oh! And the pumpkin seeds!! Oh my word, so wonderful in this salad – adding the perfect and much needed crispiness. Add some feta for some creaminess and some greens for that pop of colour to pull it all together. Methinks a bowl of this butternut salad will change your life and your views on the word SALAD.
What Your Butternut Should Look Like
And at the END…
- Serves: serves 1
- Serving size: 1 recipe
- Calories: 420
- Fat: 19
- Saturated fat: 6
- Unsaturated fat: 8
- Trans fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 51
- Sugar: 9
- Sodium: 1355
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 23
- Cholesterol: 11
- 2 cups butternut, cubed (300g)
- 10 cherry tomatoes (140g)
- ½ tbsp pumpkin seeds (5g)
- 3 pieces cooked streaky bacon (30g)
- ¼ round of feta (15g)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- handful of baby spinach leaves
- seasoning to taste
- optional: red onion, a few coriander leaves, and balsamic reduction
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Place butternut, tomatoes and pumpkin seeds on a baking tray.
- Drizzle with olive oil and seasoning.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes (tomatoes and butternut must look caramelised, not burnt).
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Place all the contents of the baking tray in a bowl.
- Add bacon, feta and greens, and toss together.
- Optional: add thin slices of red onion, coriander leaves and a drizzle of balsamic reduction.
These ingredients add FLAVOUR, so you can add a little more or a little less depending on your preference.
For example: a little more feta, and a little less bacon
2. Roast the butternut for as long as possible before it starts to burn - this will result in a wonderfully intense flavour.
Need another idea for a great LOW calorie salad? Try this amazing Asian Chicken Salad: