On to recipe number 4!
Are you ready for a delicious stuffed chicken recipe with some healthy greens? Why yes! This little number has an added vitamin boost. Broccoli is packed with healthy nutrients, and in particular, contains more vitamin C than oranges!
The classic combination we all know = spinach and feta…but let me be honest here…I am not a fan of spinach – never have been 🙁 Very sad I know, but luckily there are VERY FEW things I don’t like to eat 🙂 This is why I replaced the classic spinach with my favourite green vegetable: BROCCOLI!! The result was awesome! And even if you’re not such a fan of broccoli…feta makes everything taste delicious. A fact! And besides that…never knock it till you’ve tried it 😉
Below you will also notice I added a sauce with this stuffed chicken recipe. I opted for a homemade mushroom sauce 🙂 However, it shouldn’t surprise you that the one I make contains zero butter or oil. Somehow, I’m not sure if you’ll approve of this — but for me, the mushrooms add all the flavor I need 🙂 I simply sauté some mushrooms in a tiny bit of bubbling water, then add around a cup of milk with some dissolved cornstarch or flour (around a tablespoon). Keep stirring to avoid any lumps, and end off with some salt and lots of black pepper. I must just add, however, that a sauce wasn’t really necessary – it is completely optional.
And as the sides go, I like to pair my broccoli and feta stuffed chicken with a nice fresh salad in the summertime, or comforting sweet potato mash in the winter with a dash of nutmeg.
The End Result
- Serves: 1
- Serving size: 1 breast
- Calories: 272
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 606mg
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 46g
- Cholesterol: 121mg
- 1 chicken breast (around 130g)
- 40g raw broccoli, finely chopped (I like to use only the florets)
- 30g feta cheese (half a round)
- seasoning to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Slice the chicken breast length-wise, but not all the way through.
- Open up the chicken breast, cover with clingfilm, and pound flat with a rolling pin (1cm thick).
- Combine the broccoli and feta in a small bowl and mix until well combined.
- Spread the mixture on top of the chicken breast.
- Roll the chicken breast until closed and secure with toothpicks.
- Season the outside of the chicken to taste (remember the feta is salty).
- Place in the oven for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and allow to cool before slicing.
2. Optionally, also serve with a mushroom sauce on the side.
3. The information describes a serving for one - multiply the recipe as desired.
To view previous recipes in this series:
The Fancy Pants Goats Cheese & Breadcrumb Stuffed Chicken
The Deliciously Melty Mozzarella & Peppadew Stuffed Chicken
The Crowd-Pleasing Bacon & Mushroom Stuffed Chicken