Meet Sweet and Sour Stuffed Doritos Chicken!
By now stuffed chicken is COMING OUT MY EARS because I’ve been experimenting and cooking it for a while now. But that said…I still love it! And this final stuffed chicken recipe was a winner as well! I threw it into the mix as something a little different; a wildcard if you will 🙂 Doritos chips are one of my great loves, and a bad one at that! Please don’t approach me with a bag of blue Doritos if you intend on sharing – because I will polish that entire bag before the first chip makes it into your mouth. I apologize in advance!
Now, the other recipes I created surrounding the STUFFED CHICKEN theme were GREAT. Not exaggerating at all, and exactly the type of food I enjoy eating the most: little effort, great reward. They were simple to make, presentation was impressive, not to mention low in calories AND DELICIOUS! I really love meals that I can enjoy, but leave me feeling NEITHER guilty NOR deprived. That’s the perfect balance I strive for!
But back to my Sweet and Sour Stuffed Doritos Chicken…
We have established why I added Doritos to the recipe…it’s delicious and addictive (in my case). Simple. A little goes a long way here, because I am obviously aware that they aren’t very good for you – but everything in moderation (even Doritos). Plus they are rather energy-dense, so I would recommend using as little as you can. All you need is that flavor!
And as for the ‘sweet and sour’ part…
It’s all in the pineapple 🙂 If you don’t like pineapple, I’m sorry. If you do – you will love this! In fact, the pineapple flavor isn’t very potent. It just adds that little bit of sweetness AND juiciness that’s absolutely lovely! A little bit of green pepper and some cheddar to pull it all together…and that’s that! DONE!
Step for Step
Now the question is: Baked or Fried?
The initial intention was to simply fry the Doritos Chicken (I’m calling it that for short). I made it that way the first time – first shallow frying it in oil until golden brown, and then transferring it to the oven for 15 more minutes. HOWEVER, I decided – hey, why don’t I see how it tastes baked? I mean the chicken is crumbed in Doritos…so you kinda automatically assume you gotta fry the thing.
But WAIT! Before you do…
The baked Doritos Chicken actually tasted better than the fried one! Okay, that’s my opinion…but I was being very critical.
The fried chicken still tasted amazing…but in comparison to the baked one – I’d say the baked Doritos Chicken won hands down. Just because of all the extra calories and fat you’d be cutting out alone! In my opinion, the baked chicken tasted better because the flavor of the Doritos came through a lot better. However, the crumbing didn’t stick as well as the fried one. So I guess that’s the only down side. Be my guest and fry the darn thing if you wish…but it really isn’t necessary. Check the pictures below to spot the difference…
If you are wanting to fry your your Doritos chicken…
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Shallow fry in some vegetable oil until golden brown – around 5 minutes.
- Then transfer to the oven for 15 minutes
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Remember to remove the toothpicks before attempting to slice.
This is my PREFERRED method 🙂
The recipe below describes my BAKED Cheesy Sweet & Sour Stuffed Doritos Chicken:
- Serves: 1
- Serving size: 1 breast
- Calories: 445
- Fat: 17g
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 472mg
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 50g
- Cholesterol: 213mg
- For one stuffed chicken breast:
- 1 chicken breast (around 130g)
- 30g pineapple pieces (from the tinned variety), chopped
- 10g finely chopped green pepper (1 tbsp)
- 20g grated cheddar cheese
- seasoning to taste (I used Robertson's garlic and herb)
- For the Doritos crumb:
- 25g Doritos chips, made into crumbs
- 1 Tbsp cake flour (you'll only use half)
- 1 egg (you'll only use half)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Slice a chicken breast length-wise, but not all the way through.
- Open up the chicken breast, cover with clingfilm, and pound flat with rolling pin (1cm thick).
- Season the chicken breast to taste.
- Place the cheddar cheese on top the chicken breast.
- Then mix the pineapple and green pepper together and place on top of the cheddar.
- Press the filling flat onto the chicken breast.
- Then roll the chicken breast until closed, and secure with toothpicks.
- Prepare three separate bowls: 1 flour, 1 egg, 1 Doritos crumbs.
- Roll the chicken breast into flour, followed by the egg, and finally the Doritos crumbs.
- Place onto a baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, and remove toothpicks before slicing.
As you can tell from the above, this recipe is of the more NAUGHTY variety. However, if we were going to rank naughty meals…this one wouldn’t be very high on the list 🙂 And as I said before: everything in moderation…even deliciously Cheesy Sweet & Sour Stuffed Doritos Chicken 😉
Please feel free to ask any questions in the comments section 🙂
And check out the other recipes in this series 😉